Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Poor hygiene or less immunity?

When my eldest turned 2, we started putting him in one of our churche's program for toddlers--the MOMandTOTS. It's quite difficult for him without anyone whom he can play with at his age and in our neighborhood that is a common problem since you hardly see any kids around. His brother is too young to have fun with so when we heard about the program, we decided to signed him in. He enjoyed it so much eventhough it was only an hour and a half every twice a week but he was always looking forward to it everyday. He met new friends, nice and good teachers. They had activities each time and I was able to met other moms too. But then, summer came. It was time for a break and I don't think Apollo could understand it yet. Everyday he kept on telling us that he wanted to go to school. I know he misses his friends and teachers. He used to have a routine and then one day it stopped.

So we searched around on what things he could do to keep him busy besides playing and learning inside the house with us. My husband thought about putting him in a day care which was our least choice but that's the only way he can regularly interact with others. The price is very affordable and is only 2 minutes drive away. The place was only a year old so the rooms look clean & neat so we both agreed to try it. He seemed happy about going to that new place and meeting new friends.

Then it was weekend. We went to Chinese to had dinner. When we got home, he started throwing up. We thought, maybe he just ate something that upset his tummy. Then after an hour, he was already running a fever. So maybe he had a stomach flu (also known as gastroentiritis). By monday he seemed fine already so I took him to school.

But then the next weekend, he started throwing up again and had fever!! And here's more, by monday he went back to school and by mid afrernoon, was sick again. My mind was raising up already why suddenly he get so sick and it's happening so often? Am I not giving him enough vitamins for strong resistance against sickness? And it began when he started going to day care. I heard so much about these places before that's why we did not want our kids to go there because they said it is where different illnesses a child can get. But I don't want to be subjective.

One time, I went to pick up Apollo and I was a little late and when I got there, they were about to eat lunch. Guess what? the kids sat down without washing their hands! When before that, they were all over the floor sitting and playing. Shouldn't they always wash hands preceding lunch? Shouldn't they know better about hygiene? I saw some kids with snots hanging out and one teacher was distributing foods from a container by her barehands. Who knows if she cleaned her hands too!

I can't believe what I saw with my own eyes. I told myself I can't keep my son in a bubble all the time and there's no way I can keep him away from being sick no matter what I do. When he goes to kindergarten, he's still gonna be around with sick kids. But right now, he doesn't have to get it. I can't stand my child being so sick all the time. The only reason we put him in day care is for him to socialize with children and not with illnesses. I know he needs to build his immunity but should I let him be exposed because of that? Not today. We'll deal with it later. All I can do right now is continue teaching him the good hygienes to prevent the possibility of contracting different diseases in our environment.

No comments: